Hotel Viking Wedding
Newport, Rhode Island
Today, I will share with you some wedding reception photographs from one of my earlier weddings. The Hotel Viking, located in the heart of downtown Newport, Rhode Island, is a stunning venue for a wedding. With its rich history, beautiful coastal setting, and top-notch service, the Hotel Viking is sure to make your special day truly unforgettable.
The Hotel Viking was the setting for Richie and Jade's November wedding reception. I remember it being a chilly day, and this wedding venue in Newport kept everyone warm and partying for what was one of the wildest weddings I've seen!
The Hotel Viking was founded in 1926 at One Bellevue Avenue, located atop Historic Hill. It is surrounded by historic Newport landmarks, such as the Old Stone Mill, Trinity Church, Colony House, Newport Harbor, the White Horse Tavern, and Washington Square. Don't forget all the mansions! So many great options for your wedding photography with breathtaking views are nearby! Perfect for your big day!
A Wild Wedding Reception in Newport
The Thames Ballroom is a truly luxurious room. High ceilings, historic charm, gorgeous lighting and... pro wresting? Like I said, this was a wild wedding day, and this reception was just getting started!
Purple and Gold
Purple and gold are colors that long have been associated with royalty, and those colors were abundant this day. So very appropriate for a Newport wedding, bringing to mind the gilded age, breathtaking mansions, and all of the class beauty that Newport has become known for. It's no wonder that wedding photographers love photographing weddings here.
Back to the Excitement
Have you ever seen Ernie (of Bert & Ernie, remember them?) at a wedding? Probably not. You also probably never saw the groom and groomsmen playing football in the middle of a wedding reception, but here it is. It's been a while, but I seem to recall it having something to do with the garter toss. Like I said... wild. And the night was only half-done!
Wedding Receptions are meant for Partying!
Newport is known for many things, but it is really great for bringing out the excitement in all of your wedding guests. Get them out on the dance floor and have a great time!
McDonald's at a Wedding? I'm loving it!
Yes. You read that correctly. After this amazing high-energy wedding reception, the guests would use a refueling. They brought in McDonald's double cheeseburgers on platters for everyone to chow down on. An unexpected and tasty way to end an awesome night!
Of course, this late-night McDonald's snack only came long after a fantastic meal prepared by the Hotel Viking's culinary team, currently being led by Executive Chef Patrick Popores!
The Hotel Viking
With its historic charm, waterfront setting, and exceptional service, the Hotel Viking is the perfect venue for a wedding in Rhode Island. Let the team at the Hotel Viking help you create the wedding of your dreams (and of course, if you need a wedding photographer, be sure to message me).
Things to do in Newport
While you and your wedding guests are in town, there are lots of great things to do and see. Newport, Rhode Island is a beautiful coastal town with a rich history and a variety of fun activities to enjoy. Here are a few suggestions for things to do during a wedding weekend:
- Take a stroll along the Cliff Walk: This 3.5-mile walking path offers breathtaking views of the ocean and the mansions of Newport's famous Gilded Age.
- Visit the Newport Mansions: The Preservation Society of Newport County operates several historic mansions, including The Breakers and Marble House, which offer a glimpse into the opulent lifestyle of Newport's wealthy elite in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
- Explore Fort Adams State Park: This state park is home to the largest coastal fortification in the United States, and offers a variety of recreational activities, including hiking, picnicking, and fishing.
- Go sailing or boating: With its picturesque harbor and ocean setting, Newport is a great place to enjoy some time on the water. Rent a sailboat or take a scenic cruise around the harbor.
- Shop and dine in downtown Newport: The downtown area of Newport is home to a variety of boutique shops, art galleries, and restaurants, many of which are housed in historic buildings.
- Visit the Newport Creamery: This local institution, known for its ice cream and diner-style food, is a must-visit for anyone visiting Newport.
- Play a round of golf: Newport has a number of golf courses, including the famous Newport Country Club, which has hosted several major tournaments.
- Take a relaxing walk on Easton's Beach: This sandy beach is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and beachcombing.
- Tour the Newport Vineyards: Located just outside of Newport, this vineyard offers tours and tastings of its locally-produced wines.
- Get Married!
These are just a few ideas for things to do in Newport during a wedding weekend. Whether you're interested in history, outdoor activities, or food and drink, there's something for everyone in this charming coastal town.